The well-known Ekvira Aai Mandir is a Hindu temple near the Karla Caves in Maharashtra, close to Lonavala and Mumbai. Goddess Ekvira, who is worshipped by Hindus and people of other faiths, is located near the cave.
The Koli and Agri communities visit this temple to worship. While Ekvira Mata is the main goddess, Jogesvari Devi is to her left. The Ekvira Aai temple is located on a hill, and you must climb approximately 500 steps to reach the Mandir.
It is located among the well-known Karla caves, which are protected by the Archeological Survey of India.
On the Mumbai-Pune highway, there is a temple dedicated to the Koli (Fishermen) community. Karla caves is another name for it. In Marathi, the goddess is also known as ‘Ekvira Aai.’
The Koli people climb the tall mountain, which has 350 man-made steps, to reach the temple and worship Aai Ekvira during festivals .Koli tribes sacrifice animals in Aai Ekvira’s temple.
Ekvira Devi Temple’s History
The Pandavas built the temple during their exile in the dense forests, and it has been revered by the local tribes ever since. Later, the goddess Ekvira Mata appeared before the Pandavas, and the site has been revered ever since. Locals believe that when she appeared, she instructed them to construct a temple there. But she wanted to put the Pandavas’ work ethic to the test, so she stipulated that it be built overnight.
To her surprise, the Pandavas finished the temple quickly and impressed her. To bless them, Ekvira Devi granted them the boon that these caves would be their secret exile, where no one could find them. Ekvira Devi is a local tribe’s worship of Renuka Devi’s avatar.
Must do Activities near Ekvira Devi Temple
- Karla cave exploration: Relax in the secret hideout Karla caves, an ancient Buddhist complex. These are rock-cut caves located in Karli, a charming town.
- Paragliding at Temple Pilot: The thrill of paragliding at Temple Pilot in Lonavala is one that should not be missed. It is close to the temple and is frequently visited by tourists. You can gaze out the window from atop and fly like a bird with paragliding.
- Visiting the Narayani Dham temple: Built in 2002, the Narayani Dham temple is made of marble and houses Maa Narayani’s deity. This is one of the goddess’s main shrines, and it contains a few more idols.Devotees travel from all over the world to seek blessings.
- Visiting Della Adventure Park: Looking for an exciting day out? Visit Della Adventure Park, which is known for its incredible slides and adventure-filled activities ranging from slides to thrilling rides. You can have a fantastic day out here with activities such as Flying Fox, Zorbing, ATV rides, and much more.
How to Get to the Ekvira Devi Temple
The Ekvira Devi Temple is well-connected by road and can be reached by both public and private transportation.
By Air: The nearest airport to the temple is Pune Airport, which is 62 kilometres away and can be reached by bus or private taxi.
By Road: There are metalled roads leading to the temple that are well connected; one can book a private cab or taxi to get there.
By Train: The nearest railway station to the temple is Lonavala, 42 kilometres away, from which you can take a local state bus or a local taxi.
Read more: iskcon temple mumbai
top 5 Places to Visit Near Ekvira Devi Temple
1. Lohagad Fort: The Lohagarh fort, which is located near the temple and can be toured at any time, is one of the most scenic hill fortresses in Lonavala. It is located at an elevation of 1,033 metres above sea level and is linked to the Visapur fort. If you are interested in history or nature, this is the place for you.
2. Celebrity Wax Museum: The Celebrity Wax Museum is a fantastic attraction that features wax statues of famous celebrities, cricketers, and politicians. You can take pictures with them or simply admire the structures’ perfection.
3. Nirvana Adventures: Get your adrenaline pumping with the Nirvana adventure park’s exclusive range of swings and slides for a fun-filled outing. You can have a great time here with activities like Archery, Rocket Ejector, Motocross dirt bike riding, Buggy Ride, Paintball, and Rappelling.
4. Visapur Fort: Located at an elevation of 1,048 metres above sea level, this fort is one of Maharashtra’s scenic spots and a great retreat for nature lovers. This fort is a twin to the Lohagad fort, but it is higher in elevation.
5. Bhaja Caves: The Bhaja Caves, a group of 22 rock-cut caves, are another must-see for history buffs. These caves are located 400 feet above Bhaja village and were a prominent route connecting to the Deccan Plateau. The caves date from the second century and are dotted with breathtaking natural frames.
FAQs about ekvira temple
ekvira devi temple opening timings?
5:00 am to 12:00 pm and 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm
ekvira devi temple aarti timings?
Maha aarti takes place at 5:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.
When is the best time to go to Ekvira Devi Temple?
When it comes to the best time to visit the temple, it is all year round because the weather is always pleasant. During the rainy season, from July to September, the entire ghat is covered in showers. The temperature range between 30 degrees Celsius and 10 degrees Celsius is ideal for sightseeing.
how many steps are there in ekvira temple?
The ekvira temple has 500 steps.
What is the address of Ekvira Devi Temple?
Aadishakti aai Ekvira Devi Temple, QFMC+73X, Ekvira Devi Rd, Karla, Maharashtra 410405
Hey this article was written by Pranay Sevekar and am Mumbaikar, Professional Content Writer and SEO enthusiast that likes to talk about Mumbai tourism, travel, food, and just about anything interesting in my opinion. Connect with me on Linkedin.