Flora Fountain in mumbai is a fountain in Hutatma Chowk, a listed building with ornamental sculptures, located at the southern end of the historic Dadabhai Naoroji Road in the Fort business district India.
Initially, the Flora Fountain was established after the Governor of Mumbai, Sir Bartle Frere, but shortly before the opening of the fountains in 1864, he was given the name Flora.
Flora comes from the Roman goddess Flora, whose name means flowers. The name Flora comes from the name of the Roman goddess.
It is highly recommended to visit the fort area when visiting Mumbai to see the majesty of the Flora Fountain.
It was Built-in 1864, Hutatma Chowk is home to the Bombay Flora Fountain which is located in the commercial center of Mumbai. It is a fine architectural monument and one of the architectural monuments of India.
From the establishment of the Botanical Fountain in 1864 to 1960, the five streets met which was also known as Piccadilly Circus in Mumbai, and the current fountain station was known as the Botanical Fountain District.
Within a 3.2 km radius of the Flora Fountain, visitors can also see the most impressive institutions and buildings, the University of Bombay, the Old Secretariat, the famous Gateway of India, etc.
The Bombay High Court which was built in 1879 with a Venetian Featured Gothic style of all public buildings in Mumbai built in the 19th century the Central Telegraph Office, the Old Secretariat (built-in 1874), and many other historic buildings.
Apart from the famous Rajabhat Towers, the Bombay High Court, and the Old Secretariat, many other buildings around the fountain area.
Why Is It So Famous?
Several tourist attractions within a 3 km radius of Fountain Flora, including Church Gate, Bombay University, Ancient Secretariat, Bombay High Court, and many other historic buildings.
Asia Society Mumbai, Jehangir Art Gallery, St Thomas’ Cathedral, Church Gate, and Ocean Drive are Mumbai’s must-see tourist attractions, close to the Flora Fountain.
The Flora Fountain is illuminated at night and offers tourists the most exquisite view.
A magnificent 7-foot-tall statue of the Roman goddess Flora adorns the top of the fountain, underscoring its beauty.
A majestic statue of a Roman goddess is installed on top of the fountain structure, making the fountain building even more beautiful.
Made of Portland stone imported from England, the fountain is 32 feet high and includes the statue of Flora on the monument.
The fountain was planned by R. Norman Shaw and carved from fine Portland stone by James Forsyth. R. Norman Shaw prepared the design, and this historic structure was carved from Portland stone imported by British sculptor James Forsyth.
It was built by order of the West Indian Agro-Horticultural Society at a total cost of 47,000 Indian rupees.
The Flora Fountain, surrounded by historic buildings from the British Victorian era, is part of the Chowk and declared a cultural heritage site.
The Flora Fountain continues to captivate visitors with its beauty and splashes of water.
Originally conceived as a symbol of the British Empire, throughout Flora’s 150-year history, the fountain has taken on a significance right in the heart of Mumbaikar.
Read More: Chota Kashmir Mumbai
Flora Fountain Mumbai History
Interestingly, many hidden facts about the fountain during the restoration have been revealed.
Many elements of Flora, such as the missing arms, legs, and noses of various sculptures, have been repaired and restored by restorers.
The team also found traces of the old Mumbai tram system near the fountain.
At the foot of Flora, there are four fish and 20 lion heads scattered throughout the fountain.
Water begins to flow from the top, where Flora is standing on a row of sculptures, to look like the mythological figures behind a rain wall finally.
Rising 7 feet above an ornate, intricately carved fountain – yes, that’s how the area gets its name – Flora is one of Mumbai’s most recognizable landmarks.
The fountain initially intended for the Victoria Gardens is now surmounted by a figure of Fertility (“Courtesy of Special Collections, University of Houston Libraries.”).
Unfortunately, Bombay Castle was officially demolished, and only a few names remain today.
The British East India Company grab command of Bombay in 1668 and immediately began fortifying Bombay Castle, originally a Portuguese estate in the area of the current fort in south Mumbai.
In 1664, only the island of Bombay was ceded to the British, while the Portuguese retained control of the surrounding territories.
When the British left India, the Bombay Presidency included most of today’s Gujarat and Maharashtra.
A small street called Hornby Road, named after the then Governor of Bombay (Mumbai) between 1771 AD. and Bombay (Mumbai) in AD 1784, also exists on the site of the old fort in Old Bombay.
Until the 1860s, Bombay (then Mumbai) was a walled city with three gates: Apollo Gate, Church Gate, and Bazaar Gate.
Written by Sumit Tripathi. A Content Writer who loves to write about different topics. I like to share my knowledge with others. Connect with me on Linkedin.
- Who Crowned The Flora Fountain?
The Flora Fountain was made by Engineer James Forsythe to skulp the beautiful fountain water.
- What Is The Other Name Of Flora Fountain?
Since 1960, Flora Fountain is also known as Hutatma Chowk.
- Why Was Flora Fountain Built?
It was made to honor the 105 members of the ‘Samyuktha Maharashtra Samiti’, who lost their lives while fighting for a separate Maharashtrian state.
- Who Built Flora Fountain and Where Is It Located?
The Flora Fountain was erected at the exact place where the Church gate (named after St. Thomas Cathedral, Mumbai ) stood before its demolition along with the Mumbai Fort.
It was constructed by the Agri–Horticultural Society of Western India, out of a donation of Rs 20,000 by Cursetjee Fardoonjee Parekh.
- When Was Flora Fountain Built?
It was built in 1864 by the Agri–Horticultural Society of Western India to honour the then governor, Sir Bartle Frere. In the decades that followed, it would be renamed Flora Fountain, after the Roman goddess poised at the top.